Sunday 11 January 2009

It's been a hard days night

Hello there! How are you?

I made my triumphant official return to school Monday! Yay! I'm better, despite still sounding like a man. I was certain that with throat problems comes a mannish voice, then a sexy husky voice, but my voice is perpetually mannish and doesn't show any signs of letting up. So my sexy, husky voice will remain a dream for me...

The outfit I don here is a vintage dress from Attica, my H&M skinnies and my white boots. I'm besotted

with the collar detail of the dress. It's a bit on the conserative side, but I was working the RSPCA so I was rocking the innoffensive chic.


Lately I've been checking through gap year options and unis. I'm definitly to be studying fashion design, but the question is where!? I've accumulated a large array of prospectuses/prospecti, and to be honest I have been a tad bit over-ambitious with my options;
  • Parsons in New York, which is the dream because I could only dream of being rich enough to attend there. It's alrady been ruled out, but it's a nice thought...

  • The Academy of Art in San Francisco, which is my somewhat attainable-but-still-not-really-attainable option.

  • Polimoda in Florence, which is much cheaper, and although I'd have to learn Italian, I pick up languages easily and they offer a free course in Italian.

  • Esmod in Paris, which would be pure perfection as it's the birthplace of fashion and I already know French enough to hold a conversation without sounding like a twat.

  • Central St. Martins in London, need I say more?

I'm trying to rule out places I want to attend simply because I'd like to go there, similarly I am taking into account that I am 16 and there is something innate inside me which wills me to make a break for independence and move as far away as possible, so I'm trying not to base my decision too much on the excitement of the city. I have always been an avid traveller and I love the thrill of being in a seperate country speaking a different language, but I wouldn't go to a uni based upon this.

Studying fashion is something far removed from what my eldest brother, Greg, is studying which is electrical engineering. Electrical engineering is something which fundementally will be the same everywhere, the laws of physics, mathematics and technology won't be swayed by London or Sheffield Hallam, where he is now, only the quality of teaching would be altered. The point I'm trying to convey to my parents is that to study fashion I'd like to be somewhere rife with fashion, somewhere where I could be inspired on a daily basis and somewhere which wouldn't get old for at least a year. I recognise that fashion exists everywhere, and the quality of my education should come before the surroundings, perhaps somewhere outrageously diverse and cultured would turn out a terrible place educationally, but I can't help but think I'd feel much more creative in a creative environment. Maybe I'm just dreaming that the grass is greener.

I'm begging for any suggestions/help/advice for uni, as I only know people who study academic subjects or who dropped out of fashion school.

And it doesn't help when every teacher emphasises that this time next year I will have EVERYTHING sorted!

So clothes! Monday - I picked up these little shoes £2 from the Tyndale community hospice shop on Saturday, and I'm in love. I wore my Walmart "Hard day's night" t-shirt, I love that I saw more Union Jack in America than I do at home! leopard print tights, of course! A 50p waist belt, tch shop again, a black primark strappy underneath my tshirt and my dad skirt.


As a recovering ill person, I have returned to school expecting to have kept up with all essay deadlines set while I was away, which is why I spent all evening after work tonight writing 2 essays, 2000 and 1000 words. I got that done, but that explains why I'm finding recreational time at ridiculous hours!


On the plus side, my mate Hell got me a get well soon prezzie, being the absolute sweetie she is! She texted me saying she saw it and thought of me, so initially I thought Oh god, what could it be? But she was shopping last week at the metrocentre with her brother, was in H&M mens, and remembered that I adore man jewellery. There was a sale on and she couldn't help herself. So come Monday morning, I was one happy camper! check out my diamonte-studded trainers! I actually know about 3 people who have the same necklace who are all girls, so it's not just me!

So today I wore my emo scarf (I'm sure it has a name, if anyone could kindly tell me, all my friends associate it with the emo movement and call me emo as a result, I dissagree!) trainers necklace!, a primark tshirt, primark strappy, tch shop wonder-shoes and a skirt i picked up at a clothes swapping event.

So hopefully my homework levels will calm somewhat over the coming week, because essays are bum! I'm off to listen to Janis Joplin and read Sophie's World.

Much Love!

-Sarah

15 comments:

  1. I want to study Fashion too! The schools in Singapore suck but overseas is EXPENSIVE :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are super sweet my dear.darling I wish you all the best as you apply for fashion school.It is fun studying abroad so help you get to but if finance is an issue,places here in UK like central st martins and London college of fashion are amazing.
    also i love mens jewellery too,like to mix it with female jewellery :o),so liking what your friend hell got you. the hospice shoes are simply darling too!
    big kiss,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dear! i wish you all the luck with that new year's resolution of yours!!!! oh my goodness it would be sooooo hard for ME

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry but i have no advice on the uni front as im the year younger than you! i would love love love to go to st. martins, the fashion communications course looks amazing. although going to paris is something i'd love to do too...
    ah, hey-ho, we'll see what grades i get eh?

    awh thankyou for the comment, i love that you debated, as i set up this blog to get peoples opinions, and thats exactly what you gave me! well, you can be sure i'll be posting plenty more contriversal posts, so you can debate to your hearts content :)

    oh, and love the tights!

    mxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tights. I have been looking for some wild pairs but I haven't been lucky! I am planning on going to Paris, once I graduate. I believe you have one life. I am going to live my life differently than most. I want to try, and take risks, and for me, travelling abroad for school would be taking a risk, and living life to it's full potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all the best with your wishes too! thanks so much for your warm congrats! I got into a Double Degree..Bachelor of Teaching / Bachelor of Arts..I am so excited. i just hope it all works out! i am loving those print tights too! you look cute my love. all the best again! xxx LM

    ReplyDelete
  7. The name of the scarf is kaffiyeh.

    I'm loving the tights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sweet comment :)
    That vintage dress looks great! Good luck with finding the right uni! All those places sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet friend buying you that necklace! I need to drop some hints to my bestie! Love your new shoes, what a bargain and soooo pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for no advice on college, seeing as I will be doing apps next school year and have things to figure out myself. I hope the best for you in whatever you choose to study.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking time to comment. Your post is really interesting. It sounds like you've really thought about the direction you want to take and what you want and don't want. That's the first, great step! As a lawyer, I really can't give too much advice about what fashion school to go to but out of all the cities you've listed, my personal pick would be Paris. Florence felt a wee bit small town-ish in terms of fashion but fantastic for art history inspiration. And though London would be ideal, there's something eternally cool about learning in a language different from yours. Good luck! I've added you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh god, your clothe are so cool really ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comment!

    I love those shoes with the leopard tights, they look really good together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am in love with your look! I was such a rocker chick in high school my love of rock music still lives, that is why I cant ever get rid of my tees, but i dress it up now instead

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I really wish I had a sexy, husky voice too, but no such luck! I really like your outfits, I've always been such a fan of leopard xo

    ReplyDelete