Thursday 22 January 2009

Go on, take everything, take everything, I dare you to

Hello There,
How are you?
Tuesday's outfit consisted of an Asda denim waistcoat, Primark random fruity slogan t-shirt, black Primark strappy, swapped skirt and big green River Island boots.

On Tuesday I had a trot around the charity shops Hexham has to offer; not that I'm complaining, but does a quaint market town honestly need 9 charity shops?

We have TCH, RSPCA, Age Concern, Oxfam and Oxfam Books (on the same street!) Relate, Save The Children, Cancer Research and Scope; which inevitably leads to all 9 vying for attention and donations.

I must admit, I do enjoy analysing each store's average shopper, for example the very ostentatious upper middle class country lady saunters about the Cancer Research, so it's a goldmine for blazers and pencil skirts of the Ralph Lauren-esque persuasion.


For tuesday work, I shoved on my ripoff uggs with checked H&M shorts, black shirt and TCH belt. I checked the worker's manual and I have almost broken every dress code, but I work without a supervisor or boss around, so nobody knows! Bit scared as I've just found out that this saturday I'll have an assessment to signify the end of my probationary period of work, so I'm meeting with my boss at Tescos so she can quiz me on procedures and such; hoping I don't get asked anything I don't know!

The dress is H&M via Scope for £3.95. It was a size 12, and usually I am a size 12 but its a touch too big, so either I've lost weight or H&M configure their sizes in an attempt to make me feel fantastic (well it worked!) It's navy with square spots and it makes me want to skip around and pick flowers a little bit!


I tried on as well a gorgeous vintage frock, it was a slinky fitted velvet mini and had a rather glamorous sequinned halterneck detail. I was smitten, but it was £8.95 and I was only planning to spend less than a tenner on clothes. I should probably know, but I'm not 100% on when I'm getting paid, and I need to save to go out next week/the multitude of birthdays coming up. I would've asked them to save it for me, but I didn't want to say 'hold this untill further notice'


The shirt was from Age Concern, and I have worn it at every opportunity since I bought it! for £2.50, I'm rather pleased! It doesn't show too well in the photos, but it has a little checked pattern on it. I think I love it because I always loved Debbie off the wild Thornberrys, being all crazy cool and laid back, and I swear I'm just channeling Debbie in this shirt.


And oh!! excitement! On the 1st of march I shall be attending a vintage fair in Newcastle. One aspect I am completely looking foward to is buying vintage buy the kilo. Yes, clothes are being sold like a pick n' mix! When I first heard this I was a tad apprehensive, because upon hearing the word vintage my mind flickers instantly to the thought of heavy taffeta or velvet hollywood gowns which paractically require a crane or a spine of steel to support their weight. Fingers crossed it's all light and floaty.


After going medieval on my wardrobe/general accumulation of clothes, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm craving new clothes. For a while now I've ventured into my cupboard or drawers and stumbled across something I never wear, or that just doesn't hang right and added it to a growing pile of clothes at the side of my bedroom. My clothes have now been whittled down to the items I love, wear frequently and look good in, but there remains the question of what to do with the pile.

I usually tell my mates and let them have a rummage through and let them take anything which tickles their fancy, but this time I've had the idea to arrange a clothes swapping event.


My birthday's coming up on the 6th of Feb, and I don't really have a party planned yet. This saturday is my mate Katie's birthday party, then next saturday I'm being taken out by 3 of my mates to Newcastle, but the rest of the crew aren't going along. On my actual birthday I'm on a school trip to Ford Castle, then chilling with the 'rents, and 3 days later I'm on another school trip to Paris for a week, then a day later I'm to be in Barcelona with my family (woo budget airlines!) Not to mention Sam's birthday on the 2nd and Becky's on the 14th.


So I was trying to slot in a party somewhere, and my mum and I wanted to go a bit Abba and have a themed party, I could be the dancing queen only 17. Frankly the only time I could celebrate with the crew would be around March time, and by then I'd probably be used to the idea of being 17 and not in the party mood.


Basically I love birthdays/Christmas/festivities, but I hate the idea of getting presents. Well I don't mind presents, I guess I just dislike the idea of being the reason for somebody to part with their money, I hate being spent money on unneccesarily.

Instead of a party, I was thinking to hire out a hall or ask permission from the school to use one of theirs and arrange a clothes swapping event. If I asked for a small charge at the door then the proceeds would go to a charity, along with unclaimed clothes. I'm not too positive on how to host one though, and maybe if anybody has hosted one or has advice then all would be much appreciated!

For wednesday, I wore my ubercute david and goliath t-shirt (it has a piece of cheese on a bread roll, and the cheese is saying I'm on a roll!) along with a belt I got free with a jacket, my swap skirt and my Debbie shirt. The pumps are some little things I picked up at shoefayre over a year ago, and through wear and tear both soles have holes which made them a bad option for the rainy day. For work I wore my barrats boots, H&M skinnies, pink strappy, Debbie shirt and one of my mum's belts from the 80s.


Much Love,
-Sarah
PS - Did anyone see skins? What do you think? I'm still undecided as to whether I like it or not.

10 comments:

  1. No problem! It was a lesson to me also! :)

    Keep in contact,

    BSB

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. your outfits are awesome! i particularly like the 3rd and 4th ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Hole lyrics as a title. They're one of my favourite bands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are fantastic ! you look very good

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like second outfit the best, but on all pictures there is one excelnt detail. your hair, so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you look fabulous!!! such a good idea about the clothes swap idea too! you should go for it.

    and i hope your DEEP GUSH experience didn't get u into any trouble! thanksss for the comment dear!! xxx LM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very chic. I love how you belt your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. blimey, so much to say!
    well
    1. i have about 324984902834 charity shops where i live (seriously...) so your not alone on that one.
    2. im not sure what it is about h&m but the sizes always seem to come up quite big...
    but then again i'm all for a bit of looseness when it comes to clothing
    3. i love outfits 4 + 5, that belt is so colourful and pretty!
    4. thats so cool that your organising a clothes swap! i always think about doing one with my friends but we all have such different tastes...
    5. skins- was better than i thought. i must admit i hate effie but i actually quite liked her in the new series. and freddie is HOT. i thought he looked quite unnatractive on the adverts, but i've kind of warmed to him and his chin scab. oh but i did hate the farting in the school hall, how immature...

    haha, hope you enjoyed that essay :)
    oh and thankyou sosososo much for the nice comment, i actually want to be a journalist so that really made my day...

    hope you are well!
    mxx

    ReplyDelete