Sunday 21 December 2008

My mission not-so-impossible, but whatever.

Hello! Welcome! How are you?
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Sarah-Mary Geissler, currently a young lady - 16 going on 17. I reside in NorthEast England.

As of January 1st I am embarking upon a year-long project to reject new fashion. This will be the year that fashion forgot.

This is basically my resolution for 2009, to shop solely at charity shops, vintage shops, car boot sales, avoiding the high street at all costs. I'm assuming that the more cynical of you may see this as a completely timid feat to undertake; yeah, there's loads of people who already do this without needing the whole dramatic annoucement and blog shebang, but frankly it's a big alteration in the way I look at clothes. And also it's not the hugest of changes as I already rely heavily on charity shops and vintage for my fashion-fix.

Just running the idea by a few friends already poses a problem; for the longest time my friend has told me he knows exactly what to get me for my birthday (man jewelry courtesy of Topman, he isn't a fan of surprise) he wasn't best pleased that he needs to rethink his gift ideas. Also my dear mother, who is my brutally honest style guru and a connoisseur of costume, is somewhat dejected that she will no longer be able to buy clothes, shoes and what not for me to doll up in.

I've deciced to track the progress of my 2009 New Year's Resolution through the medium of blog, partially to allow the world to watch my style evole over the year, partially to pressure me into carrying out the resolution all year. Basically, the blog will document what I'm wearing everyday (this being a statement I will regret making later on)
Earlier in the year I tried photographing my daily outfits before ultimately losing all motivation for it, and any resolution I have previously made has inevitably went a bit Titanic (stop biting nails-fail!) unless it's been purposely made to be acheivable (finish coursework/exams and be a little bit fabulous-success!) I am making this blog, fully intent upon updating multiple times a week with a daily picture of my outfits and updates of my purchases.

Before I begin, I feel it necessary to set some ground rules to abide by:

1. Thou shalt not purchase garments/shoes/accessories as new
2. Thou shalt not purchase garments/shoes/accessories as new for others
3. Thou shalt not accept garments/shoes/accessories as new from others
4. Thou shalt ALWAYS purchase underwear as new
5. Thou shalt purchase material as new in order to produce garments

So there's my mission statement, any questions?

Much love,
-Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Wow- this is great. I look forward to watching your progress... I find not buying 'new' clothing is very easy for me when I'm busy (and broke) like I am now. But when I'm not working suddenly shopping is all that is on my mind! Good luck on your journey :D

    megan / http://mallratcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello sarah :) nice meet you..i'm dakbaik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! That's a pretty ambitous new year resolution. I can't wait to see how it unfolds over 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful person you are. I think this is so lovely, and so innovative. I wish you the best of luck. and I'll be keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fascinating resolution, and I wish you well! I buy a good portion of my clothes secondhand but it is difficult to not fall for the occassional new item. Good luck and I will definitely be following your saga!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowo! I admire that mission statement!

    ReplyDelete